Saturday, June 21, 2008

Quarters and one little boy!



Yesterday Thomas was watching the old 50's Under Dog cartoon with Abigail, David was napping, and Matthew was gone with John. I took this quiet moment to call and visit on the phone with my mom. (I have to give this detail so you guys don't think I'm a bad mom!). Apparently Abigail was feeling generous yesterday and decided to give Thomas 2 quarters because "1 had a train on it, the other an eagle" and he liked them. Well I hear a gagging sound and realize my almost 4 year old had the quarters in his mouth. I successfully removed one feeling quite proud of myself when he screams and crys that he swallowed a quarter. I calm him down and think to my self "no way it's to big". Mean while my almost 8 year old is screaming "do you want me to call 911" she screamed this about 10 times and I calmly told her no. Abigail then starts to cry " you don't even care if he dies". Keep in mind he is breathing and has calmed down and watching cartoons again. I asked him again "did you swallow a quarter" he says yes. Abigail pipes in that she gave him 2 quarters. We look all around the couch and I found a 2nd quarter in the cushions. It is another train quarter and Abigail informs me that she gave him a train quarter and an eagle quarter. I call the doctor because at this point I have no idea. We go in as a standby appointment. In the car Abigail writes her farewell letter to Thomas "Dear Thomas if you die I hope you die in peace. I love and your family loves you. We will miss you. I am sorry I gave you quarters love Abigail. (She's a little dramatic). 3 kids and 21/2 hours latter we get seen. The x-ray is taken and sure enough their is a quarter in my son's stomach! We are now waiting for it to pass through. (yuck!) The moral of my story is there is a reason labels say not for children 3 and under. Should coins have labels:>!

No comments: